The Rogers Free Library is seeking a forward-thinking, and community-focused librarian to fill the position of Assistant Director. The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge of professional library principles, practices, and services, as well as a broad background and knowledge in financial, administrative and human resources management. The Assistant Director manages library functions during the absence of the Director. This position reports to the Library Director.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Oversee purchasing and bookkeeping processes; prepares financial reports.
- Manage personnel records and assist with the staff evaluation process.
- Represent the library in the Ocean State Libraries Consortium.
- Maintain administrative records and processes.
- Serve as liaison to Friends of the Library.
- Assist the director in strategic planning and annual reporting.
- Manage programming and collection responsibilities as assigned.
- Liaise with town departments and officials.
- Conduct outreach with local, state, and regional agencies and professional/cultural organizations.
- Supervise library staff and manage the building in the absence of the director.
Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge Required:
- Foundational understanding of public library roles, functions, history, and current trends and best practices.
- Experience in managing library purchases, funding, and financial record keeping.
- Demonstrated leadership.
- Solid understanding of professional and human resources development.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of employee and patron information is critical.
Minimum Qualifications, Physical Demands, and Working Conditions:
- Master’s in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution;
- At least three years of experience as a librarian;
- A genuine desire and ability to interact pleasantly and effectively with the public is essential.
- Must be able to lift/move/carry up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Usual office working conditions. Potential minimal exposure to noise, dust, inclement weather, temperature fluctuations.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, and talk for potentially long periods of time. This includes using a computer monitor, monitor(s), keyboard, and mouse to complete many of the daily tasks as well as usual office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This is a $50,000 per year, exempt full-time, non-union position with 37.5 hours minimum per week. This includes some nights and weekends e.g. for programming and outreach. This position will follow Town of Bristol Employee Handbook and the Non-Union Employee Benefits Summary.
Qualified and interested individuals should send a cover letter, resume/application to [email protected]
Preference will be given to applications received by 5:00 PM on Tuesday, January 31, 2023.
The Rogers Free Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local laws. All employees must be eligible for employment in the United States.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com