The Municipal Court hears matters relating to Animal Code Violations, Disorderly Conduct, Harbor Patrol, Traffic, and Zoning.
What are the Court rules?
– Proper Attire is required – no shorts, tank tops, etc.
– Food and Beverages are expressly forbidden
– Court begins on time; late arrivals are heard at the conclusion of the session
– Cell phones/pagers should be set to silent mode or turned off
– Please check the Court Docket for your name. If your name is listed, assume a seat in the courtroom and wait for your name to be called. If you do not see your name, please refer to the Town Clerk prior to the start of the meeting.
– Payments for fines (varies) and court costs (typically $35 per infraction) are due and payable at the time of judgment. Payments can be made by cash, check, money order, credit card or online.
Who is Presiding?
Municipal Court Judge: Jane F. Howett, Esq.
Associate Municipal Court Judge: Paul Silva, Esq.
Municipal Court Bailiff: John Ferreira
When is Municipal Court usually held?
Municipal Court is held on Second Tuesday (8:00 AM) and the Fourth Tuesday (6:00 PM) of each month. To view the Town’s calendar schedule, click here.
Where is the accessible entry to the Burnside Building?
Handicap-accessible parking is conveniently located next to the Burnside Building on Court Street. The Burnside Building offers a side entrance ramp and elevators to the second-floor courtroom.
Address: Burnside Memorial Building (2nd Floor Courtroom), 400 Hope Street Bristol, RI 02809
Phone: 401-253-7000 ext.135