Hydraulion Engine & Hose Company
The Hydraulion Engine and Hose Company Number 1 was first organized on May 11, 1836 during a town meeting. The company was formally organized on July 22, 1843.
On November 13, 1988, the fire company moved to its present location at the corner of Annawamscutt Drive and Metacom Avenue.
Defiance Hose Company
The Defiance Hose Company Number 1 was organized May 31, 1905 and remained housed on the bottom floor of a one room school house until its new, and present quarters, were occupied in April 1929. In June 2005, the company celebrated its 100th Anniversary.
The company published a 134 page book outlining its rich history during the past century. This historical document is now available for purchase by contacting the company.
Dreadnaught Hook, Ladder & Hose Company
The Dreadnaught Hook, Ladder and Hose Company 1 (also known as the “Dreads”) is made up of a volunteer Rescue Squad and an Engine Squad of seven members.
“Puff is a water-shooting dragon. If you notice on the patch, the tail of Puff is attached to a fire hydrant. The water from the hydrant runs through Puff and shoots out of his nose, like fire would shoot out of a fire-breathing dragon.
You may wonder how our ladder truck was named Puff. Well, I will tell you. A few days after Puff proudly rolled in to the small town of Bristol, Rhode Island in 1982, a demonstration of what she could do was put on for the town. There was Puff, the largest truck in the fleet and the largest and loudest in the surrounding towns. She was truly the pride of the fleet. When her jacks were lowered to raise the aerial, the thrust from the engine sounded like a loud roar. Once settled in to place, the aerial was raised to her full length of 110 feet with a nozzle at the tip and mid-point of the aerial. When the young school children observing the demonstration saw the long length of hose behind the ladder truck begin to move as it charged up with water and then witnessed the 2 powerful solid streams of water shooting out of the 2 nozzles towering above them, many of them began to say it look like a dragon. As the children described with excitement how the ladder truck looked and sounded like a dragon to each other and their parents, the name Puff began to emerge from the crowd of the children. It was from that moment on that the ladder truck was named from mythical dragon Puff from the children’s song Puff the Magic Dragon.” – Captain Tom Prezioso
“When most people hear the word Dreadnaught, they immediately associate the word with the great battleship. Or, a style of acoustic guitar. Although the spelling of Dreadnaught (with an ‘a’) could also refer to the great battleship, the actual word Dreadnought, with an ‘o’, is the appropriate spelling referring to the great battleships.
Our company spelling of the word Dreadnaught has another meaning. The word Dread means to fear intensely and the word naught means nothing. When the 2 words Dread and naught are combined the meaning is entirely different. It means ‘fear nothing.'” – Captain Tom Prezioso
Ever-Ready Engine and Hose Company
The Ever-Ready Engine and Hose Company Number 2 was founded on May 24, 1924.
The history, however, of the Ever-Ready Engine and Hose Company Number 2 begins in the mid 1800s. In 1846, the King Philip Fire Company Number 4 was founded. Around 1870, when the new steamers came along, the name was changed to the King Philip Company Number 1. At that time, a state charter was obtained.
On August 13, 1923, an issue arose that would put an end to the King Philip Company Number 1. A special meeting was held to consider whether the company would attend the New England League Muster at Crescent Park. During the meeting, 3 applications for membership were presented and accepted for membership.
A protest was filed to the Board of Engineers and to the Town Council. In a dispute on August 13, 1924, the King Philip Company refused to abide by the decision that was made by the Town Council and the Board of Engineers.
On May 6, the Town Council voted unanimously to instruct the Town Solicitor to evict the King Philip Company from their town-owned location. The King Philip Company vacated the station on Thames Street to occupy a building just north of the old Staples Coal Company’s office.
On May 19th, 1924, the Board of Engineers recommended to the Town Council that authorization be given for the King Philip Fire Company to organize a new Company. On the May 24, 1924, a new fire company of thirty members was founded. These were younger members of the King Philip Company. On June 4, 1924, the new company would finally receive its name, the Ever Ready Engine and Hose Company Number 2.
Fire Headquarters Address: 4 Annawamscutt Drive, Bristol, RI 02809
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday | 8:00AM – 4:00PM