In 2020, Bristol’s Department of Public Works moved to automated trash & recycling collection. Every Bristol residence received two 65-gallon containers – one (1) blue container for recycling and one (1) green container for trash.
To learn more about Bristol’s collection schedule, policies, and instructions, please see below.
Thank you, and we look forward to better servicing you!
Find out when your trash & recycling is getting picked up.
Holiday Collection Schedule
All trash, recycling, and composting routes will be picked up one day later following a holiday:
- Monday route will be picked up on Tuesday
- Tuesday route will be picked up on Wednesday
- Wednesday route will be picked up on Thursday
- Thursday route will be picked up on Friday
- Friday route will be picked up on Saturday
|January||New Year’s Day|
|January||Martin Luther King, Jr. Day|
Learn more about Bristol’s Automated Collection policies.
Automated Trash & Recycling Cart Policy
- Beginning on Monday, July 20, 2020, the Town of Bristol Department of Public Works will no longer provide additional free trash and recycling carts.
- Additional trash and recycling carts may be purchased by residents of single family homes for $75/EA. One additional set (1 trash & 1 recycling cart) maximum per home.
- Effectively immediately, the Town of Bristol is not responsible for lost or stolen trash and recycling carts. Replacements can be purchased for $75/EA.
- Resident must make an appointment to pick up additional or replacement carts at the Public Works facility at 111 Mount Hope Avenue. Please call 253-4100 ex. 4 to make appointment.
- Resident seeking to obtain a 35 gallon cart should call the Public Works office at 401-253-4100 ex. 4 and provide their name, address, and telephone number to be added to a waitlist. Once enough requests to fill a minimum order for manufacture and delivery, the Town will place the order. Residents will be contacted when the order has been delivered to the Town and they can pick up their carts.
- The Town has a No Bin, No Barrel ordinance in effect. This ordinance requires a blue recycle cart to be curbside along with the green trash carts in order for the trash to be collected.
- All old blue recycle bins and trash bins can be taken to the Transfer Station on Minturn Road for disposal. Please remove all wheels from containers prior to their disposal at the Transfer Station.
Yard Waste Containers
- Trash barrels being used for yardwaste must be clearly market COMPOST
- Weight limit for bags and barrels is 50lbs MAX
- Barrel size is limited to 35 gallons
- The same weight and size limits apply to store bought reusable yardwaste bags/containers
- If using yard waste bags, the limit is 20 bags per week
- If using barrels, the limit is 10 barrels per week
Yard Waste Containers
- Custom-made barrels, overweight barrels, and/or oversized barrels will NOT be emptied
- Barrels that are on wheels or that have been fabricated in any way (rope handles, etc.) will NOT be emptied.
No Bin, No Barrel Policy
The Town of Bristol adheres to a “No Bin No Barrel” policy. This means that if your recycling cart is not present with your trash at the time of trash pickup, your trash will not be picked up. It is important to remember that even if your recycling bin has been emptied already, it needs to remain with your trash until trash has also been collected. This may seem redundant but remember there are nearly 2000 stops per day, and this is the safest and most proficient way for the town to ensure recycling has occurred at every one of those stops.
Help us by making sure your trash & recycling is put out the right way.
All collections are subject to the following conditions:
- Rubbish must be at the curb by 7 a.m. on the day of collection.
- Only carts provided by the Town of Bristol will be collected.
- No garbage shall be placed at curb more than one day prior to pickup.
- All containers shall be removed from the curb within a reasonable amount of time on the same day as pickup.
- Both the trash and recycling receptacle must be placed curbside in order to be picked up. Please review the “No Bin, No Barrel” tab for more information.
- All containers will be placed in a convenient location where they may be reached by the automated trucks without undue effort or hazard.
- No more than 1 trash and 1 recycling cart related to a single family premise shall be picked up. Multi-family dwellings shall be allowed 1 trash and 1 recycling cart per unit. Multi family dwellings with 5 or more units are required to provide private rubbish disposal for their tenants.
- All garbage to be picked up shall be drained of moisture and secured in a bag or barrel. Loose trash will be left behind.
- Any trash or recycling container not provided by the Town of Bristol is NOT acceptable.
- Sawdust must be taken to the Transfer Station and disposed of in containers with other building debris.
- Bricks, earth, gravel, rocks, asphalt etc are not accepted.
- Refrigerators, air conditioners and other items containing freon are accepted at the Transfer Station for a fee of $25. They may also be picked up curbside for $40. Please review the “Special Pick-Up Instructions” tab for more information.
- Needles and syringes must be placed in covered containers (coffee cans, etc.) and then disposed of with the regular rubbish (not recyclable). Please break the needles before placing them in the container. The RI Resource Recovery Corporation accepts properly prepared sharps through the Eco-Depot program. Make an appointment for on of RIRRC’s Saturday Eco-Depot collection events by visiting www.ecodepotri.org or by calling 401-942-1430 x.241.
- Building material, Furniture, Appliances or any other large or “bulky” items will not be accepted with regular trash pickups. These items must be brought to the Transfer Station or scheduled for special pick-up where applicable.
Failure to adhere to these guidelines will result in trash and/or recycling being left behind. These rules are in place not just for the safety of our workers, but for the benefit of our town as well.
The Town of Bristol is proud to support RIRRC’s “Let’s Recycle Right!” PSA campaign. Want to learn how to recycle right? Visit www.recycletogetherri.org.
The Town of Bristol has implemented a “No Bin, No Barrel” Ordinance. Any rubbish to be picked up curbside must be accompanied by a recycling cart at the time of rubbish pickup. If not, the rubbish will be left behind.
- The Town of Bristol partners to run quarterly e-waste recycling events. More information can be found at www.indiecycle.com.
- Cardboard must be broken down and placed inside the recycling cart provided by the Town of Bristol. Anything that does not fit inside the recycling cart cab be brought to the transfer station free of charge.
- Mixed recyclables for curbside pickup must be in the town issued cart.
- Mixed recyclables in plastic bags will NOT be collected.
- To find out about upcoming RIRRC shredding/recycling events, click here.
- Curbside pickup for recycling runs the same days as rubbish routes. Pick-up times may vary, please review the Collection Schedule for more details.
- Most recycling guidelines are established by the RIRRC.
For more details about the Do’s and Dont’s of recycling, click here.
Special Pick-Up Instructions
Special Pickups are typically made on the third Thursday of each month. Special pick-up stickers must be purchased in advance for each item. Stickers may be purchased at the Public Works Office during normal hours of operation. You will receive a date for the pickup at the time of purchase.
The following is the rate for Special Pick-Ups:
- Bulky Items (e.g. Furniture, Appliances, etc.) – $35.00 per item.
- Freon Items (e.g. Air Conditioning Unit, Freezer, etc.) – $40.00 per item.
- Gym Equipment
Address: 111 Mount Hope Avenue, Bristol, RI 02809
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday | 7:30AM – 3:30PM
Interim Director of Public Works