The Town of Bristol announced that it will begin operating a COVID-19 drive-through testing site at the Bristol Town Beach. This site will be a municipally run and sponsored COVID-19 rapid testing clinic.
The Town of Bristol’s COVID-19 testing clinic will run on the following schedule:
- Tuesdays from 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Thursdays from 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Saturdays from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
*Please Note: In the event of inclement weather, the testing site will be closed.
No appointment is necessary to receive a test. Upon arriving at the Bristol Town Beach, residents will be asked to complete a short registration form. Clinic workers will direct residents through a drive-through lane, where they will receive their test kits. Residents will be asked to stay in their vehicles while they take the test. After submitting the test samples, residents can choose to wait for their results or leave the testing site. All residents will receive their results by phone on the same day as they took their test.
All testing and result data will be delivered securely to the Rhode Island Department of Health.
Please Note: Residents that are symptomatic or require documentation showing negative test results should receive a PCR test by visiting covid.ri.gov/testing.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between a Rapid Test and a PCR Test?
- A rapid test, or antigen test, detects protein fragments specific to the Coronavirus. Turnaround time for results is usually very quick and in some cases, results can be reported within 15 minutes.
- A PCR test is considered the “gold standard” in SARS-CoV-2 detection. This test actually detects RNA (or genetic material) that is specific to the virus and can detect the virus within days of infection, even those who have no symptoms. Turnaround time is longer, generally in the 2-3 day range. When demand is high, results can take longer.
What test should I get?
The Town of Bristol is currently offering rapid tests at its Town Beach testing site.
The Town of Bristol recommends receiving a PCR test to confirm a COVID-19 positive result of a rapid test.
Is there any cost to get a rapid test at Bristol’s clinic?
No. The rapid test is free of charge.
How do I prevent the spread of COVID-19?
- Wear a face mask.
- Social distance – maintain a 6 feet distance.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
As always, if you are not sure what COVID-19 test is right for you, please talk with your healthcare provider.