EMS Coordinator – Town of Bristol
Statement of Duties:
The Town is seeking an experienced professional to assist with management and training of our emergency medical team. This position, which reports directly to the Fire Chief, is responsible for ensuring the safe and efficient delivery of emergency medicine to this diverse seaside community of 23,000 people.
The Town encompasses 20 square miles, including Roger Williams University and Colt State Park. In this position, you would provide assistance in managing operations pertaining to the technical, clinical, administrative and continuing education programs associated with the EMS division.
- Participate in department activities including fire suppression, rescue, emergency medical care, public assistance, fire investigation, fire prevention, pre-fire planning, company training, and public education.
- Obey lawful orders. Cooperate with fellow firefighters and officers.
- Keep up to date with the various fire department operations, State of Rhode Island EMS protocols, CPR guidelines, and all current EMT materials equivalent to individual’s licensing level.
- Drive safely and responsibly within the guidelines set forth in the Department Apparatus and Safety policy.
- Maintain current on Department procedures, policies, orders, and directives.
- Perform all assigned tasks and assignments in accordance with acceptable fire service practices and within Rhode Island EMS protocols.
- Perform general office duties including, but not limited to, answering phones, filing, organizing documents, both paper and electronic, preparing deposits, word and document processing.
- Conduct QA & QI relative to EMS reporting and procedures
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of requisitions, purchase orders, and various operations schedules.
- Coordinate activities with outside vendors.
- Prepare continuing education EMS training programs for
- Respond to emergency calls when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Fire Chief or designee.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- High school or GED.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record for the last three years.
- Criminal background check required.
- Knowledge of basic office procedures.
- Knowledge of basic and applied computer skills, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Licensed RI Paramedic.
- Licensed RI EMS Instructor Coordinator.
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical .
- Ability to arrive at work on time, be in official department uniform at all times, and present a professional overall appearance as a Public Safety employee of the Town.
- Be personally accountable for job responsibilities. Seek counsel and assistance as needed from superior officers for all tasks that may be assigned.
- Ability to follow a chain of command and to work collaboratively with co-workers.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills to effectively work with the public at all levels.
- Minimum five years combined Fire and EMS experience.
- Minimum ten years combined Fire and EMS management experience.
- Certified Firefighter Level 1 and 2.
- Associates degree or higher in related field.
- Minimum four years’ experience as a company officer rank of Captain or higher, and/or management level position in an EMS agency.
- ACLS, PALS, BLS instructor.
- Experience in Community Health Programs.
Physical Demands/Environment/Working Conditions:
- Must be able to lift/move/carry/push/pull up to 50 lbs. in the form of equipment, medical supplies, patient transfer (with assistance).
- Exposure to temperature and weather fluctuations, body fluids.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, climb stairs, squat, and kneel. May be required to walk over uneven terrain.
- Use tablet, computer, monitor(s), keyboard, and mouse to complete daily tasks.
- Use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Terms of Employment:
- Monday through Friday from 0800 to 1600 (8 A.M. to 4 P.M.), fifty-two (52) week year, minimum 40 hours per week.
- Nights, weekends, holidays as assigned and directed by the Fire Chief.
- Annual salary up to $58,000. Salary commensurate with experience and benefits as defined by the Town of Bristol Non-Union Employee Benefits summary.
- Performance will be evaluated annually by the Fire Chief in accordance with provisions of the Town’s employee handbook and the Fire Department rules, regulations, and operating guidelines.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, employment application, resume to Town Administrator Steven Contente, c/o Human Resources, Bristol Town Hall, 10 Court Street, Bristol RI 02809 or [email protected] beginning Monday, December 19, 2022 through 4 PM on Friday, January 13, 2023.
Position will remain open until filled.